Thursday, July 24, 2008

I DID IT!! I RAN A 5K!!

From the time I was a youth, I had dreams of being athletic. I wanted to play soccer on the high school team; I wanted to jump high and spike a volley ball; I wanted to sprint around a track and leave people eating my dust. Unfortunately, I never accomplished any of those things. I didn't understand that I needed to practice, train, or get in shape. Fortunately, I have married a man that does understand what it takes to be in shape so with his help and the help of a dear friend - I am finally on my way to being the athletic person I have always wanted to be.



My friend Rachel Jackson and I ran the "Beat the Heat 5K" in Winston-Salem, NC on Saturday July 19, 2008. It was an evening race which was fabulous because it is HOT and HUMID! We are great running partners - we push each other to accomplish runs I know I couldn't do on my own - Oh like a 5K! There we are in the heat of the race.




As I passed my family at the end of the race, I reached out for Caleb so he could run with me but he was confused and just stood there. I would have picked him up but my body was so weak that I knew I would have stopped running if I had.




There we are, so close to finishing we can taste it.



And we did it! I never thought I could run 3.2 miles in one stretch. Thanks to Rachel and her constant encouragement I have officially run my first complete 5K ever!

I don't think there is a better treat after something so exhausting than a delicious orange. This is the love of my life sharing in the absolute joy I had by completing this race.

So, the challenge is on and Rachel and I have a goal to run a 10K in December.

Man, I love to run!

8 comments:

Jessica S. said...

good job!

Mandi said...

Congratulations!

Marisa said...

Way to go, Jules! I want to run the 10k with you two! I need a little incentive.

justLorie said...

Congratulations Julie and Rachel!

Rachel Morgan said...

Congrats on the run. you are my inspiration... the wind beneath my wings

Taryn said...

Way to go Julie!

JD & Alicia said...

Awww Juls I'm so proud of you!!!!! You go hot mamasita!

Lori said...

Way to go!